Larry

Loading...
Buzzr is running Larry Blyden's syndie What's My Line eps. I always liked the syndie, though it never lasted long on GSN when the network tried it. But the audience demands are a lot less severe on Buzzr, so it's nice to see Larry riding again. The syndie aired out some of the stuffiness of the CBS original.

Lately I've gotten into the habit of watching the ancient Alfred Hitchcock Hour on MeTV. I've always been a Hitchcock fan - Vertigo is my favorite movie and that includes everything - and it's fun to see the portly master gracing the show with his goofball intros and exits.

A few nights ago MeTV ran a 1965 episode of the show called "Wally the Beard." Larry Blyden played a double role in the episode, a combination of a nerdy Walter Mitty-ish character and a debonair Most Interesting Man in the World persona (see screenshot). He did great in the dual role, and the show was a deft blend of comedy and suspense.

An interesting blog called Barebones E-Zine has posted a detailed and informative review of the episode, along with many other eps in the Hitchcock series. I left this comment on the site...

I write a game show blog, and Larry Blyden is best known to me as a game show host and celebrity contestant. His biggest claim to game show fame was that he was the final host of What's My Line, succeeding John Daly and Wally Bruner. His talent for improv humor came in handy in his many game show gigs.

Larry Blyden never got the credit he deserved, in my opinion. His sad early death deprived us of many fine performances in all kinds of genres.
Loading...

Related posts:

No responses yet for "Larry"

Post a Comment

Loading...