Whistle

Loading...
A commenter took exception to my silly April Fools post yesterday: Your weird need to demean Buzzr is amusing, I'll say that.

Have to admit, I responded rather sarcastically to the comment. Some people take April Fools jokes a tad too seriously. But to give our little game show diginet its due, I have been known to watch some Password Plus and Super Password eps on the channel.

Last night I saw a civvie contestant named Susie on Password Plus - the celebs on the 1979 ep were old-time game show stalwarts Elaine Joyce and Bart Braverman - and my memory immediately got jogged. I knew that I had seen her someplace before.

Then two rather grim words finally dawned on me: rape whistle. She was the contestant on Match Game with the rape whistle. Somehow I remembered this from the greatest game show ever. But how to track down the episode? I tried googling "susie contestant match game rape whistle" and back came one of her Match Game '76 eps. A little more searching on YouTube revealed that she appeared on episodes 640, 641, 642 and 643. Her full name was Susie Parker.

On Match Game Susie introduced herself as just married and said she worked for a dentist. She did just fine on the show and ended up winning $6,200. Susie also won Alphabetics on the Password Plus episode I watched, so she was at least eleven grand richer thanks to Messrs. Goodson and Todman. Which would be close to fifty grand in today's debased currency.

She still seemed to be wearing the rape whistle on the Password Plus ep, though it went unmentioned. Match Game made a big deal about it, and Susie said that her boss gave it to her.

I have no idea what happened to Ms. Parker in later life. Or maybe I should say Ms. Nelson, because I think that's the name which Allen Ludden used to introduce her on Password Plus. On that show she said she was "single again," which piqued Bart Braverman's interest.
Loading...

Related posts:

No responses yet for "Whistle"

Post a Comment

Loading...